2016 Sauvignon Blanc
We picked the fruit by hand, relatively early to beat the heat and make sure the fruit was super-fresh. We carefully sorted and gently pressed the grapes, then fermented most of the juice (75%) in stainless steel tanks to retain freshness. The other 25% was fermented in new, tight-grained French oak barrels, where the wine matured for seven months. This is a touch longer than previously for us, because the greater intensity we’re getting as the vines mature means the wine can take a little more oak. We also stirred the lees early on to build palate weight and depth.
This delicate expression has floral overtones on the nose joined by aromas of stone fruit and citrus. The creamy, textured palate is vibrant with lime, grapefruit and white peach. It has lovely, lime-citrus drive and enough richness to match with full-flavoured dishes.
Ben Portet offers a sauvignon blanc quite apart from the usual. Texture is a big thing for us …working towards the creaminess, balance and poise of the whole wine.